[fetter-devel] Fetter Update #1

Rayiner Hashem rayiner at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 22:48:09 UTC 2005

Hello everyone. I'm just e-mailing to update everyone on the status of
fetter. The design document took me a little bit longer than I
expected. In any case, I've attached a PDF of the document to this
e-mail, and I welcome any commentary on the contents. Specifically,
I'm interested in ideas about how to make the input file syntax more
powerful and useful, and ideas about integration of C/C++ libraries
into Lisp code.

The front-end stuff, like the IR and UFFI back-end is pretty
well-specified, but the section on the input file and the handling of
C++ classes is a bit light. For the moment, I want to concentrate of
binding to a C library first, and when that works I'll flesh out and
start work on the C++ stuff.

Forward-looking statements: The design document marks my first
milestone. I've got a pretty good start on parsing the GCC-XML file
into IR, which was designed based on my experience of parsing it, so
over the next week I'll write the backend stuff and try to hit my
second milestone (binding to a C library) on time.

Sincerely,
    Rayiner Hashem