[fetter-devel] Fetter Update #1

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Sun Jul 10 03:02:57 UTC 2005

Rayiner Hashem wrote:

>Hello everyone. I'm just e-mailing to update everyone on the status of
>fetter. The design document took me a little bit longer than I
>expected. In any case, I've attached a PDF of the document to this
>e-mail, and I welcome any commentary on the contents.

The first impression is that it is well thought out.

A minor quibble: you say defbinding is analogous to defpackage, but do
not make explicit the obvious, viz, that the first argument to
defbinding becomes the package name. I mean, it is totally obvious, but
you might want to make it explicit.

Now I could answer this myself, but I have somehow managed to lose the
original fetter proposal: is support for VC++ planned? i think I recall
that it was, but it's hazy. So as an aside, please re-send the original
proposal to me. Or maybe put it up on the FTP location for your fetter
project on cl.net and link to it from the Web page for fetter. You might
also put this dsign PDF up there and link to it. Because....

... I think greater community involvement/feedback in these vital
projects might help. You seem to have a pretty clear idea where you are
going and, hey, it's Lisp, it is easy to revise as new or better ideas
come along, but there are some smart Lisp people out there who might
have some good ideas. So I am thinking an announcement posted a couple
of places inviting people to track fetter (and all the Lisp NYC
projects) might be a good idea. if the discussion itself stays on the
fetter mailing list, I think we can avoid the nonsense i would expect
from a discussion on c.l.l itself.

> Specifically,
>I'm interested in ideas about how to make the input file syntax more
>powerful and useful, and ideas about integration of C/C++ libraries
>into Lisp code.

Heh, I just wait for things to go wrong or come up short and then
refactor. :)

Do you have a C++ library in mind as a guinea pig? Something I thought
would be useful is to create a test C++ library which exercised all the
capabilities of fetter and hello-c. This would serve as regression test
and even documentation, since folks suing fetter to get to c++ would be
able to see what Lisp was used to get to each C++ component, data
structure or function. But that could be a big job. Just a thought.

--
Kenny

"If you plan to enter text which our system might consider to be obscene, check here to certify that you are old enough to hear the resulting output." -- Bell Labs text-to-speech interactive Web page