[fetter-devel] CFFI ported to Allegro CL

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Tue Jul 5 03:15:44 UTC 2005

Luis Oliveira wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This afternoon I ported CFFI to Allegro CL. It passes all tests on
> Linux/x86, fails 3 on Windows (one of them is because sqrtf doesn't
> exist on Windows, IIRC) and 2 on OSX (there seems to be something
> going on with FF:GET-ENTRY-POINT on OSX; either that, or I don't
> understand what get-entry-point is supposed to do).
>
> Well, yeah, there are only 32 tests so far ...

I have been meaning to bring up this point, viz, that the regression
test deliverable (both sides, Lisp and C/C++) would be nice to have at
this point.

> and there are two magic numbers being passed to system::ff-funcall (I
> mailed Duane Rettig, I hope he'll help me figure out what those are
> for). Also, we are using unexported interfaces (which are however
> briefly mentioned in docs). But still, this was a nice start.

ugh, this is the kind of thing that scares me: a partial (?) test suite
works on one OS out of three, with magic numbers and unexported (aka
unsupported) hooks. (I know it was only a brief effort, but often the
first 90% of a task lies down just so the last 10% can get a clean shot
at me. <g>)

With CFFI/Hello-C threatening to become a standard, will Franz want to
help CFFI plant its flag atop AllegroCL? That is what happens if all of
Lisp open source shifts to CFFI. What if Franz thinks their FFI is
better? In that case, they will see CFFI as hurting their product, and
rightfully do their best to make ineluctable their native FFI (even if
delivered UFFI-like via macrology).

Well, sounds like you are having fun. Keep us posted. :)

--
Kenny

"If you plan to enter text which our system might consider to be obscene, check here to certify that you are old enough to hear the resulting output." -- Bell Labs text-to-speech interactive Web page