[usocket-devel] Request for new experimental branch about UDP and others

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 20:51:11 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 6:34 PM, Chun Tian (binghe)
<binghe.lisp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, usocket devel (Erik and Hans)
>
> (sorry for my poor English first)
>
> As you guys already know, I'm working on some UDP-relate packages'
> development, and already got a working UDP patch for usocket project.

Yes. It's really exciting that you've been working on such new features.

> I also
> want to do more on this area (portable Common Lisp networking), following is
> my interesting part:
>
>  * UDP (already have some code)
>  * ICMP (ping)
>  * UDP Multicasting

If I'm allowed to split up the list, I think the items mentioned above
are protocols (such as TCP), while the item below is a transfer
'method' (TCP/IP vs UNIX Domain Socket). Would you agree?

>  * UNIX Domain Socket (AF_LOCAL)

> I want to stay in the framework which USOCKET already have, and try to
> extensive it to support more features.

Thanks! :-)

> Erik agreed to give me SVN commit
> access and now I wish to open a new branch for above experimental work. As
> the first mission, I'll merge all my UDP patch into this new branch.

That's great. How about a branch named 'experimental-udp'?

However, one thing I tried to do is to keep things as 'tcp/ip' and
'udp' out of the sources/apis; instead, I took the more abstract
transport types 'stream' and 'packet' to work with those. The
consequence should be that the use of usocket isn't restricted to
internet sockets and tcpip/udp transports, but can also implement
(later) ATM or Unix domain socket transports with stream and packet
transfer methods.

> I think a branch with name "udp" or "binghe" (like the "hans" branch before)
> will be OK, but as a new member I don't think I should make this branch by
> my self (that's not quite polite, I think). So I'm looking for opinions or a
> branch made by Erik for me to commit codes.

Be my guest and open a branch for the UDP work. If you don't mind, I'd
like to see work focussed on 1 subject at a time for now: we're only a
small developer community and spreading our attention means the risk
of delivering nothing. So, if you could defer the UDP multicast and
Unix domain work for a while, that would be great!

Branching off of the trunk seems the best to me. If any commits happen
on trunk, you could merge them, if that's required for your branch.

Thanks for taking on this enhancement! It's greatly appreciated.

Bye,

Erik.