[usocket-devel] Request for new experimental branch about UDP and others

Chun Tian (binghe) binghe.lisp at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 23:09:52 UTC 2008

Hi, Erik

Thanks for your suggestion. It's my pleasure to work with you:)

So, I'll do the following things:

1) Make a new branch named "experimental-udp", and only commit to this
branch.
2) Do one feature at a time (now is UDP support)
3) Defer other part to the future (I'll try to research them in
LispWorks-UDP package first, and then try them portable)

There's still one thing I don't know how to decide, need your opinion:

On LispWorks, there's no official support on UDP, and my LispWorks-UDP
package is quite successful to let people doing UDP job (there're some
real customer whom use it in production environment). Obviously I
should continue maintaining this package for those whom only writing
applications on LispWorks.

For usocket UDP networking on LispWorks, there're two way to merge my
work:

One way, let usocket depends on the exist "lispworks-udp" package
(just like the way usocket-udp does).

Another way, "copy" more than a half source code of "lispworks-udp"
into "experimental-udp" to avoid this "unnecessary" external
dependency, but this will bring some issues to me and USOCKET:

1) "lispworks-udp" package has 730 lines' source code, and 500+ lines
need to be copyed. Quite big for "backend/lispworks.lisp"

2) I have to maintain "two" UDP support code on LispWorks in the
future. Any bug will be fixed twice.

So, at this "experimental" stage, I think maybe I should keep the
lispworks-udp stuff outside first. When UDP on all support CLs are
working, you can help me to decide whether to keep this additional
dependency or not.

Regards,

Chun Tian (binghe)

在 2008-10-3,4:51, Erik Huelsmann 写道: