License for Slime

Stelian Ionescu sionescu at cddr.org
Mon May 14 14:22:39 UTC 2018

> On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 3:43 PM Red Daly <reddaly at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would like to contribute some code to the project, but my employer
> (Google) will only permit you to do so if the project is licensed under an
> OSI-approved license (https://opensource.org/licenses). I'm not a lawyer,
> but my understanding is that "public domain" code is more complex legally
> than code released under one of the OSI licenses.
>
> "SBCL [is] a mixture of BSD-style (for a few subsystems) and public domain
> (for the rest of the system)" and Google contributes to that project.
> Perhaps you can point them to that case? Hope that helps. I'm not a lawyer
> either; I have no idea what would be required to change SLIME's license.

Maybe you don't necessarily need to change the licence of existing code.
Just like with the legacy code from Spice Lisp and CMUCL which was public
domain, it should be enough to state that the licence for new code is MIT and
over time the code base would become a mixture, just like SBCL. I guess this
should be ok to appease lawyers.

--
Stelian Ionescu a.k.a. fe[nl]ix