Moving to GitHub and cl-lib

João Távora joaot at siscog.pt
Tue Jan 7 18:24:20 UTC 2014

Raymond Toy <toy.raymond at gmail.com> writes:

>     João> Quite amazing that we actually managed to improve the xemacs experience
>     João> by removing support for it...
>
> Heh.
>
>     João> But I'm afraid things might get worse sooner rather than later. We'll
>     João> see: keep using slime!
>
> with something cleaner.  Otherwise, continuing to use git slime will
> be a pain to maintain.

I don't know what to say.

My personal plans would be to completely remove xemacs support (some 400
of "portability layer" and numerous "(featurep 'xemacs)") hacks that IMO
hinder progress greatly. Most of the new features that I planned to
introduce wouldn't work on xemacs anyway, as it doesn't have lexical
scoping for example. OTOH my focus would be to to work towards
modularity (and more firmly establishing it's elisp API) so that new
features can be developped more independently.

But I'm just a contributor with ideas...

What if we branch an xemacs-bugfix-only branch from the current
common-lisp-net-cvs branch and apply the "called-interactively-p" fix
and maybe a few other fixes you come across. You could maintain that
version and I would do my best to help backport bugfixes. That is, until
you switch to GNU Emacs :-)

> I normally only update slime when quicklisp does.

Maybe one could pin quicklisp to that particular slime branch...

João