[slime-devel] Unicode character misbehavior?

Bernard Hurley bernard at marcade.biz
Fri Oct 28 23:10:26 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 03:15:17PM -0700, Jeffrey Cunningham wrote:
> I discovered a way to crash Slime by compiling a simple sexp containing a
> string. Here are the conditions:
>
> 1. Connect to a running SBCL via swank (M-x slime-connect).
> 2. Cut and paste the sexp below containing the smiley-face into a lisp
> file.
> 3. Compile the fragment.
>
> That's it. When I do this the inferior Lisp process is terminated "by
> remote peer".
>
> (let ((dangerous-string "This is a smiley-face: ☺"))
>   (print "Important safety tip: don't do this."))
>
> I normally only work with UTF-8 characters, and my ignorance of handling
> other character sets is probably the culprit here.

Hmm... I know this isn't very helpful, but it works OK for me using SBCL 1.0.51.  And the latest version of slime.
What versions using?  I didn't do anything specific to make this work.  I just compiled SBCL as per instructions and installed slime using
quicklisp.

I'm also not sure what you mean by saying ☺ isn't a utf-8 character.

Regards

Bernard