[slime-devel] Unicode character misbehavior?

Jeffrey Cunningham jeffrey at jkcunningham.com
Fri Oct 28 22:15:17 UTC 2011

I discovered a way to crash Slime by compiling a simple sexp containing a
string. Here are the conditions:

1. Connect to a running SBCL via swank (M-x slime-connect).
2. Cut and paste the sexp below containing the smiley-face into a lisp
file.
3. Compile the fragment.

That's it. When I do this the inferior Lisp process is terminated "by
remote peer".

(let ((dangerous-string "This is a smiley-face: ☺"))
   (print "Important safety tip: don't do this."))

I normally only work with UTF-8 characters, and my ignorance of handling
other character sets is probably the culprit here.

What should I do if I want to enable slime to work with strings like this?

Regards,
Jeff Cunningham