[slime-devel] SLIME-Clisp Unicode encoding

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Wed Mar 16 06:53:55 UTC 2011

* mv968 [2011-03-15 14:36] writes:

> I connect with
>
> M-x slime
>
> and I enter #\à in *inferior-lisp* buffer. I also have the following
> lines in my emacs (don't know exactly what they are for):

Hmm, this is a bit awkward to fix.  We need to set the encoding
before Slime starts.  It should work to add

(setf (stream-external-format *standard-input*)
      (ext:make-encoding :charset "utf-8"))

to the file ~/.swank.lisp.
I'm not sure where ~/.swank.lisp ends up on Windows but you
can find it out by calling (user-homedir-pathname) in CLisp.

> (require 'slime-autoloads)
> (slime-setup '(slime-scratch slime-editing-commands))
> (slime-setup '(slime-repl))
> (slime-setup '(slime-fancy))
> (slime-setup '(slime-autodoc))

slime-setup overwrites the previous call so you should
call it only once with a longer list:
(slime-setup '(slime-scratch slime-editing-commands slime-repl ...))

> Since I'd like to use Lisp for technical software, do you think that
> CMUCL might be better suited than CCL ?

CMUCL doesn't work on Windows, so it's probably not an option.

Helmut