[slime-devel] Restart Numbering

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Mon Oct 26 08:57:12 UTC 2009

Levente Mészáros <levente.meszaros at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 7:26 PM, Madhu <enometh at meer.net> wrote:
>
> > * "Tobias C. Rittweiler" <87r5srbax3.fsf at freebits.de> :
> > Wrote on Sun, 25 Oct 2009 19:12:08 +0100:
> >
> > I'm not sure what youre asking, perhaps the flaw is in the way restarts
> > were designed by the writers of the framework, who probably gave no
> > thought to the issue and you are changing slime to fit that flawed view
> > of the world.
> >
> > I have not used those frameworks or looked at those tests.
> >
> > --
> > Madhu
>
> It's really weird to read this discussion.
>
> You seem to be so sure about how others use slime/lisp (what they like
> or dislike) by extrapolating your own usage scenarios. Why don't you
> put a variable there? Then both of you will be ok, and others can also
> choose according to their own preference. Keep the old behavior as
> default, and it's done.

I reverted the change on two and a half grounds: a) software (like
stefil) can, and arguably should make sure that the most appropriate
restarts are on top of the stack, b) that the reverse numbering truly
sucks for the case when the total number of restarts exceeds 10 -- and
somewhat c) I see the point that lower numbers are more convenient to
reach if one has a numpad available (which I happen not to have.)

  -T.