[slime-devel] slime repl AND slime-fancy vs. XEmacs

Madhu enometh at meer.net
Tue Nov 17 04:07:20 UTC 2009

* "Mark H. David" <4B015AF9.8010705 at yv.org> :
Wrote on Mon, 16 Nov 2009 09:00:25 -0500:

| By "in charge", I include both making defaults and deciding what the
| doc says.  The approach described -- having REPL not be the default
| mode of operation -- is not in and of itself broken.  It's just that
| it's not in synch with the doc.  What about the doc?  It says

The problem is that the doc contains the correct information, though it
maybe confusing and not apparent unless you put things together.  (I'm
looking at the doc/slime.texi for this mail, not the website:)

| here:
|
| http://common-lisp.net/project/slime/doc/html/Inferior_002dlisp.html#Inferior_002dlisp
|
| The buffer *inferior-lisp* contains the Lisp process's own
| top-level. This direct access to Lisp is useful for troubleshooting,
| and some degree of SLIME integration is available using the
| inferior-slime-mode. However, in normal use we recommend using the
| fully-integrated SLIME REPL and ignoring the *inferior-lisp* buffer.

`REPL' is a hyperlink that points to the REPL subnode (under
`Contributed Packages'. REP node indicates how the REPL is to be
invoked, it says:

	To load the REPL call `(slime-setup '(slime-repl))' in your
	`.emacs'.

Also The `Loading Contribs' subnode `Contributed Packages' shows how
packages are loaded.

| and here:
|
| http://common-lisp.net/project/slime/doc/html/Installation.html#Installation
|
| With a Lisp implementation that can be started from the command-line,
| installation just requires a few lines in your .emacs:
|
|      (setq inferior-lisp-program "/opt/sbcl/bin/sbcl") ; your Lisp system
|      (add-to-list 'load-path "~/hacking/lisp/slime/")  ; your SLIME directory
|      (require 'slime)
|      (slime-setup)

Immediately after that, it says

	This is the minimal configuration with the fewest frills.  If
	the basic setup is working, you can try additional modules
	(*note Loading Contribs::).

Again with a link to the `Loading Contribs' Node.

So mentioning (slime-setup '(slime-repl)) here would not be appropriate
at all.  Besides IMHO the REPL has long-standing unfixed bugs I'm not
sure it should be recommended outright.

| So, can the doc be fixed now?

How would you like it to be fixed?  What do you think would be least
confusing or appropriate?  Would you be happy with this?