[slime-devel] slime repl AND slime-fancy vs. XEmacs

Mark H. David mhd at yv.org
Mon Nov 16 14:00:25 UTC 2009

By "in charge", I include both making defaults and deciding what the doc
says.
The approach described -- having REPL not be the default mode of
operation -- is not in and of itself broken.
It's just that it's not in synch with the doc.  What about the doc?  It
says

here:

http://common-lisp.net/project/slime/doc/html/Inferior_002dlisp.html#Inferior_002dlisp

The buffer |*inferior-lisp*| contains the Lisp process's own top-level.
This direct access to Lisp is useful for troubleshooting, and some
degree of SLIME integration is available using the
|inferior-slime-mode|. However, in normal use we recommend using the
fully-integrated SLIME REPL and ignoring the |*inferior-lisp*| buffer.

and

here:

http://common-lisp.net/project/slime/doc/html/Installation.html#Installation

With a Lisp implementation that can be started from the command-line,
installation just requires a few lines in your .emacs:

     (setq inferior-lisp-program "/opt/sbcl/bin/sbcl") ; your Lisp system
     (add-to-list 'load-path "~/hacking/lisp/slime/")  ; your SLIME
directory
     (require 'slime)
     (slime-setup)

So, can the doc be fixed now?