[slime-devel] very jerky scrolling while slime-repl buffer is shown

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 03:49:35 UTC 2009

I keep a *slime-repl ccl* buffer visible in a separate frame so I can
view the interpreter and my source code at the same time.

As for recently, I noticed that scrolling in pretty much any buffer
has become extremely sluggish: redisplays occur only rarely, with the
result being that the text jumps around a lot rather than being
scrolled smoothly line-by-line.
When the *slime-repl ccl* buffer is not shown, this problem doesn't
occur (and goes away).

I use SLIME from CVS, 2009-01-09, in Aquamacs (based on GNU Emacs 22).

I start up slime as follows:

(require 'slime-autoloads)
(slime-setup '(slime-fancy slime-asdf slime-banner)) (setq slime-
complete-symbol*-fancy t) (setq slime-complete-symbol-function 'slime-
fuzzy-complete-symbol)

I tried setting the latter two variables to nil, to no avail.
I tried `cancel-function-timers' on various SLIME specific functions
in timer-idle-list, but they keep coming back.
I also tried (setq post-command-hook '(ignore)) in the REPL buffer
(and the buffer that I am scrolling) - it doesn't help much.
I have turned off eldoc-mode in the REPL buffer, which didn't help
much either.

I'm running this on an up-to-date machine.

If you can't reproduce, let me know what else I should check.

Thanks
  - David