[slime-devel] text properties in REPL

Madhu enometh at meer.net
Sat Jan 10 12:22:44 UTC 2009

* Helmut Eller <m28wpjpokn.fsf at common-lisp.net> :
Wrote on Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:12:08 +0100:
|> Nevertheless it is important to me that I can control whether or not
|> text properties are set.
|
| Customizing slime-write-string-function is probably not an option for you.

No it is an option and of course it works.

I considered both approaches.  This approach had me replicating all
bodies of slime-repl-emit* and insert functions.  The other approach was
to bind special variables and check just before where properties are
added.  The API comment below is from the code I get when trying to
reuse slime functions in achieving these.  [My current opinion is that
the latter approach is cleaner, but this is moot anyway is slime-repl is
in contrib and I currently only care about repl properties. So I'm done
on this thread.]

|>The current API and is a mess to support this .  And the direction
|>you are taking SLIME in with your style of refactoring code does not
|>help.

[snip]

The intent was not to call you stupid or a jerk but to indicate that
these are reasons for you to give the benefit of the doubt when
evaluating code to rearrange

| Why should I support features that I can't imagine [because I'm too
| stupid] or disagree with [because I'm a jerk]?  Isn't it your task to
| convince me that those feature have some worth [for me]?

On the whole I agree with this.

--
Madhu