[slime-devel] Re: default connections

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Sat Sep 27 19:15:38 UTC 2008

* Tobias C. Rittweiler [2008-09-27 18:47+0200] writes:

>> And what would that other command do?  Select a connection, other than
>> the current connection, and make it buffer local?
>
> Prompt the user for a connection (with completion) to be made
> buffer-local; the next connection could be the prompt's default.

Cycling through a list may well be faster than completion, especially if
the list is short.

>> > But it's not something that follows from a command called
>> > `slime-cycle-connection'.
>>
>> slime-cycle-connections does what it is supposed to do, ie. it does what
>> the docstring says.
>>
>> What are you complaining about?
>>
>> A) the name "slime-cycle-connections"
>> B) that slime-cycle-connections changes slime-default-connection
>> C) that slime-cycle-connections changes slime-buffer-connection
>> D) something else
>>
>> If you can't stand the name, then change the name.
>>
>> B) is debatable, but might be convenient.
>>
>> C) is the main purpose of the command.  If you delete that part you can
>> just as well remove the entire command.
>
> It's C).
>
> I read "slime-cycle-connections" as
> "slime-cycle-default-connection".

That's not the intention of the command.  The part about making the
connection specific to the buffer is essential.  I think that renaming
slime-cycle-connections to something like slime-cycle-buffer-connection
would solve the issue.

> I'd use it when I've got a .lisp
> buffer open and want to test some things in it in different
> implementations.

For this purpose you could also use slime-cycle-connections as it is
now.