[slime-devel] Re: default connections

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Sat Sep 27 16:47:08 UTC 2008

Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> writes:

> * Tobias C. Rittweiler [2008-09-26 23:52+0200] writes:
>
> > > Being able to do C-c C-c in a buffer without worrying which lisp it's
> > > going to go to is a good thing.
> >
> > That's why I proposed to add another command to make a connection
> > buffer-local.
>
> And what would that other command do?  Select a connection, other than
> the current connection, and make it buffer local?

Prompt the user for a connection (with completion) to be made
buffer-local; the next connection could be the prompt's default.

> > But it's not something that follows from a command called
> > `slime-cycle-connection'.
>
> slime-cycle-connections does what it is supposed to do, ie. it does what
> the docstring says.
>
> What are you complaining about?
>
> A) the name "slime-cycle-connections"
> B) that slime-cycle-connections changes slime-default-connection
> C) that slime-cycle-connections changes slime-buffer-connection
> D) something else
>
> If you can't stand the name, then change the name.
>
> B) is debatable, but might be convenient.
>
> C) is the main purpose of the command.  If you delete that part you can
> just as well remove the entire command.

It's C).

I read "slime-cycle-connections" as
"slime-cycle-default-connection". I'd use it when I've got a .lisp
buffer open and want to test some things in it in different
implementations.

  -T.