[slime-devel] ASDF contrib always reports "Compilation failed" in the minibuffer

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Wed Oct 22 17:01:57 UTC 2008

* Mark Evenson [2008-10-22 16:45+0200] writes:

> Did something get lost in a refactoring somewhere?  Or did the ASDF
> hooks always have this behavior?  I can't see a plausible way to assign
> a meaningful status from ASDF:OPERATE anyways (my understanding is that
> it always returns nil), so my suggestion would be to change the
> minibuffer message for COMPILATION-RESULTs from ASDF invocations, but
> that didn't look like a fast fix, so I wanted to solicit advice.

The backend functions swank-compile-string and swank-compile-file always
had in the docstring that the result should be T on success and NIL on
failure, but the actual results were ignored.  Most backends returned a
pathname or something like that.  To clean that up a little I return the
result now to Emacs and display it.  I think most backends do now what
the docstring says.

If we always return T for ASDF:OPERATE, everything should look as it was
before the change.