[slime-devel] ASDF contrib always reports "Compilation failed" in the minibuffer

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Wed Oct 22 14:45:24 UTC 2008

The 'slime-asdf' contribution always reports "Compilation failed" in the
minibuffer for all of the various REPL shortcut commands (i.e. those
prefixed with the "'" character) dealing with ASDF (tested this under
SBCL, ABCL, and CLISP).  This is occurring because the value of
ASDF:OPERATE (aka ASDF:OOS) is seemingly always NIL.  COLLECT-NOTES in
swank.lisp:2461 is passing this result back to SLIME in the
COMPILATION-RESULT to be reported in the minibuffer as status.

Did something get lost in a refactoring somewhere?  Or did the ASDF
hooks always have this behavior?  I can't see a plausible way to assign
a meaningful status from ASDF:OPERATE anyways (my understanding is that
it always returns nil), so my suggestion would be to change the
minibuffer message for COMPILATION-RESULTs from ASDF invocations, but
that didn't look like a fast fix, so I wanted to solicit advice.

In the scale of things, this is a minor cosmetic problem with SLIME, but
it was bugging me (and would be confusing for new users)…

--
"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before, but there is
nothing to compare to it now."