[slime-devel] Re: swank loading broken?

Mark Harig idirectscm at aim.com
Tue Feb 19 18:06:44 UTC 2008

Ralf Mattes wrote:
> Here:
>
>  ralf at mhflaptop01:/LISP/slime$ cvs status swank.lisp
> File: swank.lisp        Status: Up-to-date
>
>    Working revision:    1.532
>    Repository revision: 1.532   /project/slime/cvsroot/slime/swank.lisp,v
>    Sticky Tag:      HEAD (revision: 1.532)
>    Sticky Date:     (none)
>    Sticky Options:  (none)
>
> ralf at mhflaptop01:/LISP/slime$ sed -ne '2704,2708p' swank.lisp
>         :content (content-range *inspectee-content* 0 500)))
>
> (defun inspector-content (specs)
>   (loop for part in specs collect
>         (etypecase part
> ralf at mhflaptop01:/LISP/slime$
>

> Strangely there _is_ as '(defun setup (version load-path))' at the end of
> the file .... so why do our files diff here?

That was my mistake.  I used the 'nl' utility to produce the line numbers,
and, by default, it "helpfully" does not include the blank lines in the line
numbering.  Here is the swank.lisp listing of the 'setup' function
definition
with the correct line numbers:

  3135  (add-hook *pre-reply-hook* 'sync-indentation-to-emacs)
  3136
  3137  (defun setup (version load-path)
  3138    (setq *swank-wire-protocol-version* version)
  3139    (setq *load-path* load-path)
  3140    (swank-backend::warn-unimplemented-interfaces)
  3141    (run-hook *after-init-hook*))
  3142
  3143  ;;; swank.lisp ends here

> ralf at mhflaptop01:/tmp/slime$ rlwrap sbcl --noinform --no-userinit
> * (load "swank-loader.lisp")
> STYLE-WARNING: redefining LISP-VERSION-STRING in DEFUN
> STYLE-WARNING: redefining FILE-NEWER-P in DEFUN
> STYLE-WARNING: redefining SLIME-VERSION-STRING in DEFUN
> STYLE-WARNING: redefining BINARY-PATHNAME in DEFUN
> STYLE-WARNING: redefining HANDLE-LOADTIME-ERROR in DEFUN
> STYLE-WARNING: redefining LOAD-USER-INIT-FILE in DEFUN
> STYLE-WARNING: redefining LOAD-SITE-INIT-FILE in DEFUN
> STYLE-WARNING: redefining APPEND-DIR in DEFUN
> STYLE-WARNING: redefining LOAD-SWANK in DEFUN

> * (swank-loader:init)
>
> debugger invoked on a UNDEFINED-FUNCTION in thread #<THREAD "initial thread" {AE616E1}>:
>   The function SWANK::SETUP is undefined.

I reproduced your commands after checking out SLIME into an empty directory.
No errors resulted.

$ sbcl --version
SBCL 1.0.13

I also removed the previously compiled lisp files from the ~/.slime/fasl
date-specific
directory to prompt a recompilation:

$ rm -rf ~/.slime/fasl/2008-02-17