[slime-devel] Re: swank loading broken?

Ralf Mattes rm at mh-freiburg.de
Tue Feb 19 18:14:34 UTC 2008

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:06:44 -0500, Mark Harig wrote:

> Ralf Mattes wrote:
>> Here:
>>
>>  ralf at mhflaptop01:/LISP/slime$ cvs status swank.lisp
>> File: swank.lisp        Status: Up-to-date
>>
>>    Working revision:    1.532
>>    Repository revision: 1.532   /project/slime/cvsroot/slime/swank.lisp,v
>>    Sticky Tag:      HEAD (revision: 1.532)
>>    Sticky Date:     (none)
>>    Sticky Options:  (none)
>>
>> ralf at mhflaptop01:/LISP/slime$ sed -ne '2704,2708p' swank.lisp
>>         :content (content-range *inspectee-content* 0 500)))
>>
>> (defun inspector-content (specs)
>>   (loop for part in specs collect
>>         (etypecase part
>> ralf at mhflaptop01:/LISP/slime$
>>

>> Strangely there _is_ as '(defun setup (version load-path))' at the end of
>> the file .... so why do our files diff here?
>>

> That was my mistake.  I used the 'nl' utility to produce the line numbers,
> and, by default, it "helpfully" does not include the blank lines in the line
> numbering.  Here is the swank.lisp listing of the 'setup' function
> definition
> with the correct line numbers:
>
>   3135  (add-hook *pre-reply-hook* 'sync-indentation-to-emacs)
>   3136
>   3137  (defun setup (version load-path)
>   3138    (setq *swank-wire-protocol-version* version)
>   3139    (setq *load-path* load-path)
>   3140    (swank-backend::warn-unimplemented-interfaces)
>   3141    (run-hook *after-init-hook*))
>   3142
>   3143  ;;; swank.lisp ends here
>
>> ralf at mhflaptop01:/tmp/slime$ rlwrap sbcl --noinform --no-userinit
>> * (load "swank-loader.lisp")
>> STYLE-WARNING: redefining LISP-VERSION-STRING in DEFUN
>> STYLE-WARNING: redefining FILE-NEWER-P in DEFUN
>> STYLE-WARNING: redefining SLIME-VERSION-STRING in DEFUN
>> STYLE-WARNING: redefining BINARY-PATHNAME in DEFUN
>> STYLE-WARNING: redefining HANDLE-LOADTIME-ERROR in DEFUN
>> STYLE-WARNING: redefining LOAD-USER-INIT-FILE in DEFUN
>> STYLE-WARNING: redefining LOAD-SITE-INIT-FILE in DEFUN
>> STYLE-WARNING: redefining APPEND-DIR in DEFUN
>> STYLE-WARNING: redefining LOAD-SWANK in DEFUN

>> * (swank-loader:init)
>>
>> debugger invoked on a UNDEFINED-FUNCTION in thread #<THREAD "initial thread" {AE616E1}>:
>>   The function SWANK::SETUP is undefined.
>>

> I reproduced your commands after checking out SLIME into an empty directory.
> No errors resulted.
>
> $ sbcl --version
> SBCL 1.0.13
>
> I also removed the previously compiled lisp files from the ~/.slime/fasl
> date-specific
> directory to prompt a recompilation:
>
> $ rm -rf ~/.slime/fasl/2008-02-17

As my other post reports - it's a bug in slime.el (swank-loader:load-swank)
never gets called and hence sank.lisp never get's loaded (verified by
tracing load and compile-file). This all seems to be the result of the
recent changes by Helmut and Marco.

 Thanks for your help - and I shure would like to know why it's working on
 your box ... :-)

  RalfD