[slime-devel] Re: swank loading broken?

Ralf Mattes rm at mh-freiburg.de
Tue Feb 19 16:53:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 10:51:53 -0500, Mark Harig wrote:

> Your copy of 'swank.lisp' does *not* contain a definition for the
> function 'setup'?

Erm, no, as I said.

> It may be that something happened during your CVS checkout or update.
>
> $ cvs status swank.lisp
> File: swank.lisp        Status: Up-to-date
>
>    Working revision:    1.532
>    Repository revision: 1.532   /project/slime/cvsroot/slime/swank.lisp,v
>
> Here is the definition of 'setup' in swank.lisp:
>
>   2704  (defun setup (version load-path)
>   2705    (setq *swank-wire-protocol-version* version)
>   2706    (setq *load-path* load-path)
>   2707    (swank-backend::warn-unimplemented-interfaces)
>   2708    (run-hook *after-init-hook*))

Here:

 ralf at mhflaptop01:/LISP/slime$ cvs status swank.lisp
File: swank.lisp       	Status: Up-to-date

   Working revision:	1.532
   Repository revision:	1.532	/project/slime/cvsroot/slime/swank.lisp,v
   Sticky Tag:		HEAD (revision: 1.532)
   Sticky Date:		(none)
   Sticky Options:	(none)

ralf at mhflaptop01:/LISP/slime$ sed -ne '2704,2708p' swank.lisp
        :content (content-range *inspectee-content* 0 500)))

(defun inspector-content (specs)
  (loop for part in specs collect
        (etypecase part
ralf at mhflaptop01:/LISP/slime$

Strangely there _is_ as '(defun setup (version load-path))' at the end of
the file .... so why do our files diff here?

> If there is no synchronization problem between your files and the CVS
> repository,

I doubt it. I have since twice removed both swank-loader.lisp and
swank.lisp and fetched the newest sources from CVS.

> then it may be helpful for you to provide the Emacs-lisp code that you
> use to
> setup and start SLIME.

I'm currently trying to find out why slime breaks into the debugger during
startup, hence i work from the REPL.  This is a paste from my interaction:

ralf at mhflaptop01:/tmp$ cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at common-lisp.net:/project/slime/cvsroot co slime
cvs checkout: Updating slime
U slime/.cvsignore
U slime/ChangeLog
U slime/HACKING
U slime/NEWS
U slime/PROBLEMS
U slime/README
U slime/hyperspec.el
U slime/metering.lisp

U slime/doc/slime.texi
U slime/doc/texinfo-tabulate.awk
ralf at mhflaptop01:/tmp$ cd slime
ralf at mhflaptop01:/tmp/slime$ rlwrap sbcl --noinform --no-userinit
* (load "swank-loader.lisp")
STYLE-WARNING: redefining LISP-VERSION-STRING in DEFUN
STYLE-WARNING: redefining FILE-NEWER-P in DEFUN
STYLE-WARNING: redefining SLIME-VERSION-STRING in DEFUN
STYLE-WARNING: redefining BINARY-PATHNAME in DEFUN
STYLE-WARNING: redefining HANDLE-LOADTIME-ERROR in DEFUN
STYLE-WARNING: redefining LOAD-USER-INIT-FILE in DEFUN
STYLE-WARNING: redefining LOAD-SITE-INIT-FILE in DEFUN
STYLE-WARNING: redefining APPEND-DIR in DEFUN
STYLE-WARNING: redefining LOAD-SWANK in DEFUN

* (swank-loader:init)

debugger invoked on a UNDEFINED-FUNCTION in thread #<THREAD "initial thread" {AE616E1}>:
  The function SWANK::SETUP is undefined.

 Cheers, RalfD