[slime-devel] swank loading broken?

Mark Harig idirectscm at aim.com
Tue Feb 19 15:51:53 UTC 2008

Ralf Mattes wrote:
> Hello lsit,
>
> after a CVS checkout slime stopped to work. Diggin' into the problem
> i founds the following:
>
>  * (load "swank-loader.lisp"  :verbose T)

> STYLE-WARNING: redefining LISP-VERSION-STRING in DEFUN
> STYLE-WARNING: redefining FILE-NEWER-P in DEFUN
> STYLE-WARNING: redefining SLIME-VERSION-STRING in DEFUN
> STYLE-WARNING: redefining BINARY-PATHNAME in DEFUN
> STYLE-WARNING: redefining HANDLE-LOADTIME-ERROR in DEFUN
> STYLE-WARNING: redefining LOAD-USER-INIT-FILE in DEFUN
> STYLE-WARNING: redefining LOAD-SITE-INIT-FILE in DEFUN
> STYLE-WARNING: redefining APPEND-DIR in DEFUN
> STYLE-WARNING: redefining LOAD-SWANK in DEFUN
> * (swank-loader:init)
>
> debugger invoked on a UNDEFINED-FUNCTION in thread #<THREAD "initial thread" {AE61689}>:
>   The function SWANK::SETUP is undefined.
>
> Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.
>
> restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
>   0: [ABORT] Exit debugger, returning to top level.
>
> (SB-KERNEL:%COERCE-CALLABLE-TO-FUN SWANK::SETUP)
> 0] 0
>

>  Any idea what's going on? My sank.lisp does indeed not contain a setup
>  fuction. CVS blames "heller" (Helmut Eller, I assume) for the changes in
>  version 1.78.

Your copy of 'swank.lisp' does *not* contain a definition for the
function 'setup'?
It may be that something happened during your CVS checkout or update.

$ cvs status swank.lisp
File: swank.lisp        Status: Up-to-date

   Working revision:    1.532
   Repository revision: 1.532   /project/slime/cvsroot/slime/swank.lisp,v

Here is the definition of 'setup' in swank.lisp:

  2704  (defun setup (version load-path)
  2705    (setq *swank-wire-protocol-version* version)
  2706    (setq *load-path* load-path)
  2707    (swank-backend::warn-unimplemented-interfaces)
  2708    (run-hook *after-init-hook*))

$ cvs status swank-loader.lisp
File: swank-loader.lisp Status: Up-to-date

   Working revision:    1.80
   Repository revision: 1.80
/project/slime/cvsroot/slime/swank-loader.lisp,v

Here is the call to swank::setup in swank-loader.lisp:

   188  (defun setup ()
   189    (flet ((q (s) (read-from-string s)))
   190      (load-site-init-file *source-directory*)
   191      (load-user-init-file)
   192      (eval `(pushnew 'compile-contribs ,(q
"swank::*after-init-hook*")))
   193      (funcall (q "swank::setup")
   194               (slime-version-string)
   195               (list (contrib-dir *fasl-directory*)
   196                     (contrib-dir *source-directory*)))))

If there is no synchronization problem between your files and the CVS
repository,
then it may be helpful for you to provide the Emacs-lisp code that you
use to
setup and start SLIME.