[slime-devel] Re: new debugger behavior?

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Mon Aug 11 07:39:55 UTC 2008

* Carlos Konstanski [2008-08-11 05:46+0200] writes:

> My suggestion: have the ability to choose between today's
> *debugger-hook* functionality (honor the debugee application's
> condition handling), and that of the pre-April era (unconditionally
> override the debugee application's condition handling).  It would be
> nice to have the choice to debug any application without concern for
> how that application handles conditions internally.  The old
> functionality, which supressed even araneida's pervasive condition
> handling, was a real boon.  Anyone who is debugging a web server,
> where all errors need to be trapped and the debugger must be avoided
> at all costs, would appreciate this.

I think this is a policy issue.  Whatever we do to install the Slime
debugger, an application could just do same to override it.  Right?
Araneida was written by Dan Barlow, one of the SBCL implementors.  It's
no wonder that he knows how to suppress any debugger.  Even something
simple like (handler-case (...) (condition () ...)) suppresses the
debugger.

Is there an etiquette for *debugger-hook*?  Perhaps there should be one.