[slime-devel] Re: new debugger behavior?

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Mon Aug 11 03:46:13 UTC 2008

Tobias C. Rittweiler writes:
 > Carlos Konstanski <ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com> writes:
 >
 > > Doesn't matter.  I found the real problem.  It is in araneida.  It
 > > reassigns *debugger-hook*.  Apparently the old slime must have
 > > overwritten araneida's reassignment of *debugger-hook* with its own, or
 > > something.  Just a guess.
 >
 > Indeed, that was actually a bug in SBCL's swank backend the commit you
 > cited fixed. You can invoke SWANK:SWANK-DEBUGGER-HOOK in araneida's
 > *DEBUGGER-HOOK* to make the SLDB pop up.
 >
 >   -T.

What I am about to suggest is not really for personal reasons.  I made
up my mind today to migrate all my web code to hunchentoot, where I
don't think I'll have the same debugger problems that I am having with
araneida.  Its condition handling looks a lot cleaner than araneida's.
Nevertheless, I think slime would be a more convenient debugging tool
if it had what I am about to suggest.  To me, that is what slime is
all about: making it as convenient as possible to debug lisp code.  I
think it is the best IDE ever, by the way.

My suggestion: have the ability to choose between today's
*debugger-hook* functionality (honor the debugee application's
condition handling), and that of the pre-April era (unconditionally
override the debugee application's condition handling).  It would be
nice to have the choice to debug any application without concern for
how that application handles conditions internally.  The old
functionality, which supressed even araneida's pervasive condition
handling, was a real boon.  Anyone who is debugging a web server,
where all errors need to be trapped and the debugger must be avoided
at all costs, would appreciate this.

Just sort of fishing for opinions at this point.
--
Carlos