[slime-devel] Re: Questions about latest slime (where did feature X go?)

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Mon Sep 3 11:29:25 UTC 2007

* Jonathon McKitrick [2007-09-03 11:51+0200] writes:

> I took some time to go over the latest docs and then update my emacs
> startup settings for slime, but I have a couple of unresolved questions.

Right now, things are bit more if flux than usual and not everything
might work.

> - Is TAB bound to slime-indent-and-complete-symbol by default or not?  I
> thought that it was, but removing this key binding definition reverted to
> simple indentation behavior.

TAB in lisp-mode should be bound to lisp-indent-line.  Indentation
should be done by lisp-mode not by Slime.  It the REPL buffer it's
bound to slime-indent-and-complete-symbol.

> - It seems autodoc mode is not working correctly when the mark is over a
> symbol that used to have its value displayed.  I found
> slime-use-autodoc-mode but it does not have documentation and cannot be
> set or called.

This is probably a bit screwed up at the moment.
If you have

 (add-hook 'slime-load-hook (lambda () (require 'slime-autodoc)))

in your .emacs, you should be able to turn on autodoc mode with M-x
slime-autodoc-mode.  Setting slime-use-autodoc-mode should turn it on
automatically, but it might be broken right now.  When I move point
over *package*, get *PACKAGE* => #<PACKAGE "COMMON-LISP-USER"> in the
echo area.

> - What is the correct way to set a key binding: with define-key
> global-map, define-key slime-mode-map, or is there a different way?

Most likely define-key slime-mode-map, but it depends a bit on what
you want to achieve.  slime-mode-map is used by the Slime minor mode.
The global-map seems to contain mostly the self-inserting commands;
it's probably better not touch those.  Other interesting keymaps are
slime-repl-mode-map, sldb-mode-map, and of course lisp-mode-map.