[slime-devel] send-repl-results-to-emacs and slime-repl-insert-result.

Vladimir Sedach vsedach at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 20:11:11 UTC 2007

Hello,

In recent (or maybe not so recent) changes to swank.lisp,
send-repl-results-to-emacs sends a :write-string back to the slime
dispatcher instead of :return or :emacs-rex or whatever it was
previously. This means that slime-repl-eval-string never gets an :ok
result back, so the result printing code in slime-repl-insert-result
is of superfluous now (and can be deleted, but don't do that yet!).

There must be a good reason for this change, however I think it is
worthwhile to restore that functionality so slime-repl-insert-result
can be used as a target for defadvice for getting meaningful results
(including multiple values, which putting advice around
slime-write-string would not accomplish, besides being more
complicated) back from REPL interactions. In particular, I want to
slap defadvice before it to resurrect my repl-interaction-to-unit test
code (http://common-lisp.net/pipermail/slime-devel/2006-September/005241.html).

What does everyone think, and what would be the issues to changing
send-repl-results-to-emacs back?

Vladimir