[slime-devel] send-repl-results-to-emacs and slime-repl-insert-result.

Matthias Koeppe mkoeppe+slime at mail.math.uni-magdeburg.de
Tue Jun 12 19:05:22 UTC 2007

"Vladimir Sedach" <vsedach at gmail.com> writes:

> In recent (or maybe not so recent) changes to swank.lisp,
> send-repl-results-to-emacs sends a :write-string back to the slime
> dispatcher instead of :return or :emacs-rex or whatever it was
> previously.

The reasons for the change (which I did) were twofold:

1) When long REPL results are sent back, the old code first
   transferred them to Emacs with one big message, then printed them.
   Thus for a long time, you would not get any indication of what is
   happening.

   The new code does the usual stream buffering, sending many
   moderate-size messages to Emacs.  So you can see the progress.

2) To support nested presentations in REPL results, when present.lisp
   is loaded.

Best,
Matthias
--