[slime-devel] Can't install slime due to variable depth errors - how to debug?

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Sat Feb 17 15:00:22 UTC 2007

+ "Randy Burgess" <public at raburgess.com>:

| I am brand new to Slime, not entirely new to Emacs. Trying to
| install Slime 2.0 in either Emacs 22 on XP or Emacs 21 on Cygwin,
| and with both I get the same two errors - "Lisp nesting exceeds
| max-lisp-eval-depth" and "Variable binding exceeds
| max-specpdl-size," both related to tramp-file-name-handler.

I am entirely unfamiliar with this environment, so I cannot give
concrete advice.  However ...

| Attempting to increase values for these results in no improvement.

This is no surprise:  Stack limits are usually generous enough, so a
stack overflow generally implies an infinite recursion.

Try to set debug-on-error to t (M-x set-variable RET debug-on-error
RET t RET).  When the error occurs, you should get dumped in the emacs
lisp debugger.  There you can poke around if you wish, or just look at
the call stack and see what functions are involved.  You could try
copying the relevant bits (only once around the infinite loop, please)
and sending it to the list, and maybe someone can spot the problem.

- Harald

PS.  You had the Reply-To field set to your email address.  This
practice is problematic on mailing lists, since those responding may
not notice and so fail to send a copy of their response to the list.