[slime-devel] Can't install slime due to variable depth errors - how to debug?

Randy Burgess public at raburgess.com
Sat Feb 17 11:06:31 UTC 2007

I am brand new to Slime, not entirely new to Emacs. Trying to install Slime 2.0 in either Emacs 22 on XP or Emacs 21 on Cygwin, and with both I get the same two errors - "Lisp nesting exceeds max-lisp-eval-depth" and "Variable binding exceeds max-specpdl-size," both related to tramp-file-name-handler.

Attempting to increase values for these results in no improvement. Once values exceed 10000, Emacs predictably blows up. I have no idea how to set a backtrace for this error; setting up tramp error logging does nothing, probably because tramp isn't being started. No references that I can find in the Slime documentation for this problem.

Here are the relevant init settings for Emacs 22 on XP - nothing unusual so far as I can tell:

(add-to-list 'load-path "/L:/Free/Office/Contacts/Wanderlust/Hacking/lisp/slime/")  ; your SLIME directory
(setq inferior-lisp-program "C:/Program Files/acl80-express/allegro-ansi.exe")
(require 'slime)
(slime-setup)

Help would be appreciated ...