[slime-devel] Re: contrib branch

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Mon Aug 20 21:38:48 UTC 2007

Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> writes:

> * Tobias C. Rittweiler [2007-08-20 20:13+0200] writes:
>
> > I haven't had a chance to look at it, but I'd favor a smoother
> > migration than just throwing fuzzy completion out completely.  Like
> > binding `slime-fuzzy-complete-symbol' to something that emits a
> > warning, and autoloads the fuzzy completion code.  The warning
> > should advise the user that fuzzy completion is going to become
> > optional and has to be loaded explicitely.
>
> I think a message to the mailing list is warning enough. Or are you
> saying that the fuzzy completion code should stay in the core?
> Or are you criticizing the idea of splitting Slime into core and
> contrib?

No, I'm saying just what I wrote: "The [emitted] warning should advise
the user that fuzzy completion is going to become optional and has to be
loaded explicitely." That warning should stay in there for a couple of
months. and can then be removed.

For example, the warning could look like "Fuzzy completion has been made
an optional feature of Slime which needs to be enabled explicitely. For
more information, see the ChangeLog entry of 2007-08-??."

> We haven't yet much feedback about the "smoothness" of the migration.
> I have the impression that Kilian Sprotte (he "looked at it") found
> the transition quite acceptable.

Of course, he does, because he has read your message in due time.

  -T.