[slime-devel] Re: Lisp connection closed unexpectedly: exited abnormally with code 256 (with SBCL 0.9.8, elephant)

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Fri Oct 6 07:34:38 UTC 2006

Red Daly <reddaly at gmail.com> writes:

> I receive the following error when working a piece of software called
> Elephant.  The following two lines cause my Lisp connection to exit
> abnormally:
>
> (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :elephant)
> (let ((store-spec '(:BDB "store")))
>   (elephant:open-store store-spec))
>
> The only visible error is a status message in emacs:
> Lisp connection closed unexpectedly: exited abnormally with code 256
>
> I am running SBCL 0.9.8 on ubuntu dapper 2.6.15-27-386.  I do not know
> what version of slime I have, but I downloaded it within the past few
> weeks from the slime site.  I read about a similar problem that was
> resolved by using an inferor-lisp-program of "nohup sbcl", but that
> causes other problems for me (I can elaborate if this seems like the
> right idea).
>
> I am simultaneously involved in a discussion on the elephant-devel
> mailing list about this same issue.  See that thread here:
> http://common-lisp.net/pipermail/elephant-devel/2006-October/000549.html

Does the same happen without Slime? Start SBCL with

 sbcl --userinit /dev/null --sysinit /dev/null

and evaluate the same forms. If the SBCL does the dodo thing, it
obviously isn't a Slime issue.

In either case, I would recommend getting a newer SBCL: 0.9.8 is nine
months old.

Cheers,

  -- Nikodemus              Schemer: "Buddha is small, clean, and serious."
                   Lispnik: "Buddha is big, has hairy armpits, and laughs."