[slime-devel] Lisp connection closed unexpectedly: exited abnormally with code 256 (with SBCL 0.9.8, elephant)

Red Daly reddaly at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 23:52:18 UTC 2006

I receive the following error when working a piece of software called
Elephant.  The following two lines cause my Lisp connection to exit
abnormally:

(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :elephant)
(let ((store-spec '(:BDB "store")))
  (elephant:open-store store-spec))

The only visible error is a status message in emacs:
Lisp connection closed unexpectedly: exited abnormally with code 256

I am running SBCL 0.9.8 on ubuntu dapper 2.6.15-27-386.  I do not know
what version of slime I have, but I downloaded it within the past few
weeks from the slime site.  I read about a similar problem that was
resolved by using an inferor-lisp-program of "nohup sbcl", but that
causes other problems for me (I can elaborate if this seems like the
right idea).

I am simultaneously involved in a discussion on the elephant-devel
mailing list about this same issue.  See that thread here:
http://common-lisp.net/pipermail/elephant-devel/2006-October/000549.html

thanks for any help,
red daly