[slime-devel] Re: cvs committed darcs changes

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Thu Dec 14 21:11:50 UTC 2006

* Attila Lendvai [2006-12-11 14:16+0100] writes:

> dear list,
>
> i've managed to create a seemingly complete darcs convert of the cvs
> repo which is available at:
>
> http://common-lisp.net/cgi-bin/darcsweb/darcsweb.cgi (later today when
> the cron picks it up)
>
> darcs get --partial USER at common-lisp.net:/project/slime/public_html/darcs/slime
>
> darcs get --partial http://common-lisp.net:/project/slime/darcs/slime

So what is the final decision in the CVS vs. Darcs question?

As far as I can tell, some people were concerned about various Darcs
issues and only very few were excited or felt a necessity to switch.
Most people, including those who didn't comment, don't seem to care.

But we are definitely not going to have two repos in parallel.
Everybody who wants to actively hack on Slime should use the same
code.

Attila, would you please say what your plans are on the issue?  If you
want us to switch, you should do most of the necessary work and make
the transition for everybody as smooth as possible.  If you don't want
the switch then please remove the Darcs repo from Slime's webspace to
avoid any further confusion.

> i've committed several fixes to the official cvs from this repo. due
> to the way the automated repo conversion works the ChangeLog file is
> not updated, but the cvs commit logs contain the full descriptions
> from the darcs patch. i don't know how to handle that, because all
> information is available in the darcs patches and hand-editing the
> ChangeLog file seems like a waste of time, but if the slime community
> would like to i can assemble some ChangeLog entries by hand after the
> syncs.

The ChangeLog is independent of the version control system.  We follow
GNU convention in this regard, as is documented in the HACKING file.
If you didn't know about it, there's a command vc-update-change-log
which generates the ChangeLog from the CVS commit messages.  But
usually you should write the ChangeLog entry before committing and use
the log-edit-insert-changelog command to write the commit message.

> Mon Dec 11 12:20:58 CET 2006  attila.lendvai at gmail.com
>  * Added sldb-sexp-highlight-mode custom
>
>  It controls the way sexp's are highlighted when pressing 'v' in the debugger.
>    :mimic-paren-mode - mimic the value of 'paren-mode when available
> (xemacs only)
>    :entire - highlight the entire sexp
>    :sides - highlight only the first and last char

Slime doesn't need hundreds of customization variables.  What we need
are good defaults.

> Mon Dec 11 12:44:07 CET 2006  attila.lendvai at gmail.com
>  * Set slime-fuzzy-completion-in-place enabled by default
>
> i think they should be in official, but they are more-or-less
> offending in changing the way stuff works currently. i think fuzzy
> should be enabled by default (for new user), and the same applies for
> the xref buffer space/enter. i always found that very confusing and
> different from everything else in emacs...

Neither Gnus nor Rmail switch to the other buffer with RET.  Which
Emacs package does that?