[slime-devel] Re: cvs committed darcs changes

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 22:48:22 UTC 2006

> So what is the final decision in the CVS vs. Darcs question?

no dictator - no decisions.

changes - hurt interests.

no hurt interest - no voice.

> As far as I can tell, some people were concerned about various Darcs
> issues and only very few were excited or felt a necessity to switch.
> Most people, including those who didn't comment, don't seem to care.
>
> But we are definitely not going to have two repos in parallel.
> Everybody who wants to actively hack on Slime should use the same
> code.
>
> Attila, would you please say what your plans are on the issue?  If you

my plans were to keep the cvs->darcs repo in sync and to occasionally
commit/send the tested changes from darcs to cvs when i happen to have
the nerves for cvs.

but i got tired of all this. i feel like a jerk who's just a PITA, so
tomorrow i'll move the darcs repo back under cl-wdim and go quiet.

i'm using slime full-time nowadays and there are many places where i
quickly fix stuff and add features. most of the time these slime
sessions take only a few minutes interrupting normal work (from fuzzy
scoring changes to fixing wrong threads in the inspector; promptly
when the issue gets over a certain annoyance limit). writing the
changelog, fighting with cvs and writing these long mails take more
time then the changes themselves. please don't take it as an offense
but my primary goal is to make slime a better tool which is less
entangling in the day work, not to agree with numerous slime hackers
with numerous different goals.

alright, i can hear you: i'm antisocial... so i shut up and stop being
a PITA. i've reflected enough on this and currently i have no better
idea that doesn't hurt *my* goals.

but in spite of all this everyone's welcome to use that darcs repo or
to commit stuff back into the official cvs repo from it, but
unfortunately (or not) as things look now it's not gonna be an
official slime repo in any way whatsoever.

> want us to switch, you should do most of the necessary work and make
> the transition for everybody as smooth as possible.  If you don't want

i've already done everything that was not way too intrusive, but i
can't fix people's isp connections, i can't read docs for them and i
can't (and shouldn't) decide on the fate of a several years old
project with 20 patches behind me. i think there's nothing more i
could do without announcing myself as the dictator - which may seem
that i'm trying to, and it bothers me.

> Slime doesn't need hundreds of customization variables.  What we need
> are good defaults.

had i committed the change that highlights the entire sexp i would
have gotten mails from 10 other people yelling at me why did i commit
this disgusting change...

sorry for the bitter mood,

--
- attila

"- The truth is that I've been too considerate, and so became
unintentionally cruel...
 - I understand.
 - No, you don't understand! We don't speak the same language!"
(Ingmar Bergman - Smultronstället)