[slime-devel] Re: Persistent REPL history

Thomas F. Burdick tfb at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Sat Oct 1 08:15:49 UTC 2005

GP lisper writes:
 > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 12:10:38 -0700, <tfb at OCF.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:
 >
 > > Are you sure?  What if the REPL were considered just like any other
 > > file-backed buffer, and C-x C-s saved it, C-x s prompted you about it,
 > > and exiting Emacs would ask you if you wanted to save it?
 >
 > For me, the times I would want to save the REPL are the times I need
 > to shutdown and continue a work session later.  Otherwise, I tend to
 > complete the problem before slime is terminated, and have little
 > interest in the REPL history.  I suppose a three-state state-variable
 > is required: one state to never save the REPL, one state to always
 > save it locally, and the third state to follow the above suggestion of
 > C-x C-s.

How would my suggestion be insufficient for how you want to use the
REPL history?  If you're exiting Emacs and don't want to save the
history, just answer no when it asks you if you want to save it.  The
only time I could see this being a problem is if Emacs itself crashes
right after you type something important that you need to save ... at
the REPL.  Doesn't seem like a problem to me.

--
         ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |