[slime-devel] Re: Persistent REPL history

GP lisper spambait at CloudDancer.com
Sat Oct 1 03:26:41 UTC 2005

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 12:10:38 -0700, <tfb at OCF.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:
> Helmut Eller writes:
> > * Stefan Kamphausen [2005-09-27 14:01+0200] writes:
> >
> > > If you are interested in using this code in -say- slime.el I'll pass
> > > copyright to you (as I state in the header of the attached file). If you
> > > prefer to receive a patch to slime.el I can do that, too.  Just tell me.
> >
> > Nice idea!  Yes, I think we should add this or something like this.  I
> > wonder if we need explicit commands to load/save the history or if we
> > should simply load it at startup and append the current line to the
> > file every time when return gets pressed.
>
> Ahhh, you want to kill my poor iBook's battery!
>
> > I guess, I wouldn't bother to save the history if I need to invoke
> > an explicit command.
>
> Are you sure?  What if the REPL were considered just like any other
> file-backed buffer, and C-x C-s saved it, C-x s prompted you about it,
> and exiting Emacs would ask you if you wanted to save it?

For me, the times I would want to save the REPL are the times I need
to shutdown and continue a work session later.  Otherwise, I tend to
complete the problem before slime is terminated, and have little
interest in the REPL history.  I suppose a three-state state-variable
is required: one state to never save the REPL, one state to always
save it locally, and the third state to follow the above suggestion of
C-x C-s.

--
In Common Lisp quite a few aspects of pathname semantics are left to
the implementation.