[slime-devel] M-p/M-n doesn't move to the note in cvs slime and xemacs

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Wed May 18 10:43:30 UTC 2005

Raymond Toy <rtoy at earthlink.net> writes:

> After updating slime to the CVS slime version of 2005-05-16 to get the
> GC message changes, I notice that M-p/M-n no longer seems to move the
> the previous/next compiler note when in the Lisp buffer.  The compiler
> notes seem to be highlighted correctly, but M-p/M-n always say no next
> note.

With "highlighted correctly" you mean that you can do `M-x
slime-list-compiler-notes' and then type RET on some note and the
source gets highlighted?

One possible cause is that the file is a symlink or in a directory
that is a symlink.  The compiler notes contain absolute filenames and
XEmacs somehow opens a second buffer even if an open buffer exists
but only for the symlinked file.  So the notes are only inserted in
the other buffer and M-n/M-p can't find them.  Maybe there's a way to
customize this symlink stuff in XEmacs.

> I can look into this if someone gives a few pointers on where to look.

slime-find-next-note is the relevant function, but it wasn't changed
since a long time.  slime-remove-old-overlays was changed recently,
but it is hard to see how that could influence M-n/M-p.  Also have
look at the *slime-events* buffer to see what the actual filename is:
search for swank:compiler-notes-for-emacs.