[slime-devel] Re: Forget what I just said (Was: Re: HEAD requires SBCL 0.8.20 (Was: Breakage with bleeding edge SBCL))

Luke Gorrie luke at synap.se
Thu Mar 3 09:11:26 UTC 2005

Nikodemus Siivola <tsiivola at cc.hut.fi> writes:

> Anyways, if Slime was to present a wishlist debugger interface (not
> "export everything we use", but "here's a list of abstract
> functionalities we need"), I might have a look at providing actually
> supported ways of doing doing what you're doing in SBCL.

That would be great.

The nearest we have is swank-backend.lisp. That is a clean and
documented specification of all non-standard functionality that we
need from the backends. This interface is not generalized beyond our
own immediate needs though so one wouldn't adopt it as-is.

In swank-acl.lisp you can see that ACL's debugging API supports our
needs fairly directly.

> An idle thought: how stable is the SWANK protocol? If it was
> documented then implementations could potentially support it directly:
> sb-swank as a contrib kind of thing.

I think the SLIME<->SWANK interface has been changing incompatibly
much more than the SWANK<->SBCL interface in our history so far.