[slime-devel] Re: SLIME minimal hardware requirements

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Wed Jun 22 03:27:38 UTC 2005

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> Svein Ove Aas wrote:
>
>> On 6/20/05, borisman at netmail.kg <borisman at netmail.kg> wrote:
>>
>>> My name is Boris, and i have a question that google can not
>>>    answer. I want to buy a very old notebook and i wonder
>>> will
>>>    i be able to run slime on it. The notebook is Toshiba
>>>    Saellite 2100CS with i486 DX 25 processor and 8 Mb ram.
>>>    I want to install Dewbian Linux on it and work in text
>>> mode.
>>>    (no XWindows). Will i be able use EMACS+SLIME+LISP on it
>>> ???
>>

>> Slime itself should be no problem, nor should Emacs.
>> Lisp, however, might be;
>

> Ok; I wrote a much longer private e-mail to the OP, but I feel a need to
> summarize the main point here, for archival purposes.  Linux in 8MB, on
> ancient graphics HW, with probably a small HD?  This is ridiculous.  The
> OP is dreaming.  Prove that you can even run Linux first on such a
> worthless system, and then we'll talk about whether you can run anything
> on top of it.  I was doing 16MB RAM on Linux in 1993, and it was
> uncomfortable by 1996.  Time would be better spent on a minimum wage job
> to acquire old but more recent HW.

I really should have responded publically in the 1st place, to save all
the private responses about the OP's probably lack of funds, etc.  Points:

1) there's unlikely to be any graphics driver available for his laptop
screen
2) the HD is probably not big enough to hold a Linux distro
3) wanting things to work won't make them work
4) being poor won't make them work
5) if work / income isn't available, then the OP would be better off
trying to get someone to donate a better computer to him
6) if donations aren't possible, then he'll need to find a school or
university computer to timeshare on or something.

(5) and (6) are better uses of time than trying to get Linux to work on
this ancient laptop.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

I won't spend more than 1 day configuring 1 thing.