[slime-devel] Re: SLIME minimal hardware requirements

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Tue Jun 21 10:32:46 UTC 2005

Svein Ove Aas wrote:
> On 6/20/05, borisman at netmail.kg <borisman at netmail.kg> wrote:
>
>>My name is Boris, and i have a question that google can not
>>    answer. I want to buy a very old notebook and i wonder
>>will
>>    i be able to run slime on it. The notebook is Toshiba
>>    Saellite 2100CS with i486 DX 25 processor and 8 Mb ram.
>>    I want to install Dewbian Linux on it and work in text
>>mode.
>>    (no XWindows). Will i be able use EMACS+SLIME+LISP on it
>>???
>

> Slime itself should be no problem, nor should Emacs.
> Lisp, however, might be;

Ok; I wrote a much longer private e-mail to the OP, but I feel a need to
summarize the main point here, for archival purposes.  Linux in 8MB, on
ancient graphics HW, with probably a small HD?  This is ridiculous.  The
OP is dreaming.  Prove that you can even run Linux first on such a
worthless system, and then we'll talk about whether you can run anything
on top of it.  I was doing 16MB RAM on Linux in 1993, and it was
uncomfortable by 1996.  Time would be better spent on a minimum wage job
to acquire old but more recent HW.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

I won't spend more than 1 day configuring 1 thing.