[slime-devel] SLIME minimal hardware requirements

Svein Ove Aas sveina at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 20:18:56 UTC 2005

On 6/20/05, borisman at netmail.kg <borisman at netmail.kg> wrote:
> My name is Boris, and i have a question that google can not
>     answer. I want to buy a very old notebook and i wonder
> will
>     i be able to run slime on it. The notebook is Toshiba
>     Saellite 2100CS with i486 DX 25 processor and 8 Mb ram.
>     I want to install Dewbian Linux on it and work in text
> mode.
>     (no XWindows). Will i be able use EMACS+SLIME+LISP on it
> ???

Slime itself should be no problem, nor should Emacs.
Lisp, however, might be; some implementations, such as sbcl/cmucl,
apparently consume vast amounts of memory. I haven't tried running
either on a computer where memory is genuinely limited, but I suggest
trying clisp first; others may be aware of even lower-footprint
implementations.

It is also possible to run Lisp on a separate machine from the one
running Emacs; assuming your network connection is stable, this is a
very good option.