[slime-devel] Indenting and matching square brackets

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Sun Jul 3 16:00:30 UTC 2005

Steve Huffman <steve.huffman at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm having trouble matching and indenting square brackets.
>
> All is well in *scratch* and in emacs-lisp mode, but in Lisp Slime I
> cannot get square brackets to match or auto-indent. It's certainly
> not mission-critical, but it's definitely a nuisance.
>
> Thanks for any help,

emacs-lisp-mode and lisp-mode use different syntax tables.  I have

 (modify-syntax-entry ?\[ "(]" lisp-mode-syntax-table)
 (modify-syntax-entry ?\] ")[" lisp-mode-syntax-table)

in my .emacs to tell Emacs that square brackets are some kind of
parenthesis.

Depending on your Emacs version, you might also add

 (modify-syntax-entry ?# "' 14bp" lisp-mode-syntax-table)
 (modify-syntax-entry ?| "_ 23b" lisp-mode-syntax-table)
 (modify-syntax-entry ?\n ">a" lisp-mode-syntax-table)

to get better handling of #| ... |# comments.