[slime-devel] a question and a bug

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Sun Jul 3 15:59:57 UTC 2005

"Larry D'Anna" <smoof-ra at elder-gods.org> writes:

> The question:  I'd really like to be able to use slime with a unix
> domain socket.  I saw some
> stuff about this in the archives but it wasn't clear whether or not
> there were any plans on
> actually incorporating this into slime.  So my question is: is anyone
> working on this? and if
> not would you accept a patch that did it?

Don't know if it is still relevant, but ...

There was some some patch to support Unix sockets but it wasn't
incorporated.  IMHO supporting Unix domain sockets is not worth the
trouble, because:

 - it's a redundant feature
 - may not work on Windows
 - may not work with certain Lisps
 - only works with CVS Emacs (aka Emacs 22)
 - only works on the local machine
 - the Lisp server already closes the socket as soon as Emacs is
   connected and there's also some authentication implemented with a
   file in the user's home directory

Of course, other SLIME hackers might have different opinions.

> The bug: For some reason slime sets the common-lisp-indent-function
> property on symbols
> instead of the lisp-indent-function property, which is apparently what
> emacs actually
> uses.  The bug is fixed by throwing the following into
> slime-handle-indentation-update:
>
> (put symbol 'lisp-indent-function indent)

Most people use lisp-indent-function for Emacs Lisp and
common-lisp-indent-function for Common Lisp.  You can customize that
with the _variable_ lisp-indent-function.  If you use slime-setup, as
described in the manual, SLIME will set it to
common-lisp-indent-function.  So, I don't think this is a bug.