[slime-devel] Re: SLIME via ssh?

Zach Beane xach at xach.com
Wed Apr 13 23:40:31 UTC 2005

Nicolas Neuss <Nicolas.Neuss at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have SBCL running on an Opteron Cluster (at the moment only one process).
> This cluster has no Emacs installed.  I can connect to it only with ssh.
>
> 1. Is it possible to control the remote SBCL job with SLIME running on my
>    own computer (a Laptop)?  Can SLIME work also with remote files via
>    Tramp (e.g. by sending expressions to the remote SBCL)?  How is the
>    setup?
>
> 2. It would be nice if the SBCL job could be kept running (doing a lengthy
>    calculation) while I disconnect and log out (e.g. when carrying my
>    Laptop to another place).  What is the right thing to do here?  Maybe
>    screen or detachtty?  Both are not installed yet, but this would
>    probably be easy...

I use SBCL and SLIME in a very similar situation. I use SBCL for a
website on my web server, and I do work with a local Emacs process and
communicate via ssh.

I use ssh-agent to avoid using passwords.

I connect to the remote server with:

   ssh -L 4005:localhost:4005 my-webserver.com

I have an SBCL image saved with swank loaded, and I run it within
screen. When I start the process, I run:

   (swank:create-server :port 4005 :dont-close t)

Then, from within emacs, I can do:

   M-x slime-connect RET 4005 RET

I have also customized slime-translate-to-lisp-filename-function and
slime-translate-from-lisp-filename-function to create and un-create
tramp filenames as needed. M-. and C-c C-k work as expected.

This setup has worked very well for me so far.

Zach