[slime-devel] SBCL, multiple (zombie?) processes problems

rif rif at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 13 22:41:37 UTC 2004

> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, rif wrote:
>
> > I'm finding that if I try to run SLIME with SBCL on my debian machine,
> > that multiple sbcl processes (4) start, and if I immediately type
> > (quit) at the REPL, only one of the four is killed.  If I instead go
> > into *inferior-lisp* and type (quit), it quit's out of all 4.  If I
> > quit the REPL one first, then go to *inferior-lisp*, I get errors like
> > "interrupt thread 6376 failed (3: No such process).  This seems to
> > indicate to me some bad interaction between SBCL threads/processes and
> > SLIME?
>
> I don't think this is a Slime issue at all, but purely an SBCL one.
> The first two case (killing one vs. killing all) is as it should be as far
> as I know: quitting a child doesn't affect the parent, killing the parent
> kills the children as well.

If I start sbcl at a prompt, it starts only one process.  If I quit,
it vanishes.  If I start sbcl from slime, I get four processes.  This
is why I said it seems to be an SBCL/SLIME interaction issue --- I
have no way to reproduce any of this undesirable behavior without
SLIME.

The SBCL version is 0.8.14 (debian version 0.8.14-2).

rif