[slime-devel] SBCL, multiple (zombie?) processes problems

Nikodemus Siivola tsiivola at cc.hut.fi
Mon Sep 13 22:37:05 UTC 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, rif wrote:

> I'm finding that if I try to run SLIME with SBCL on my debian machine,
> that multiple sbcl processes (4) start, and if I immediately type
> (quit) at the REPL, only one of the four is killed.  If I instead go
> into *inferior-lisp* and type (quit), it quit's out of all 4.  If I
> quit the REPL one first, then go to *inferior-lisp*, I get errors like
> "interrupt thread 6376 failed (3: No such process).  This seems to
> indicate to me some bad interaction between SBCL threads/processes and
> SLIME?

I don't think this is a Slime issue at all, but purely an SBCL one.
The first two case (killing one vs. killing all) is as it should be as far
as I know: quitting a child doesn't affect the parent, killing the parent
kills the children as well.

As for the errors, I'm not sure, but I think something was done about this
recently: what version of SBCL is this?

> I wouldn't care that much about the zombies, but my XML-RPC server is
> also not working in SLIME (calls to it hang forever, works fine if I
> start sbcl in a shell), and I suspect the difficulties are related.

Always a possibility, but I suspect they're not related; this latter one
is as you say probably a Slime / SBCL interaction problem.

Cheers,

  -- Nikodemus              Schemer: "Buddha is small, clean, and serious."
                   Lispnik: "Buddha is big, has hairy armpits, and laughs."