[slime-devel] SLIME User Survey

Pierre-François Gomez pf.gomez at free.fr
Tue Jun 22 13:29:42 UTC 2004

[reposting from the *right* account, this time]
Luke Gorrie <luke at bluetail.com> writes:

> Which Lisp versions do you use SLIME with?

SBCL cvs

> Which Emacs versions?

Emacs 21.3.1

> How well does SLIME work for you?

It works very well for me, either with a detached sbcl (most of the
time) or with an 'inferior' one.

> What bugs (reproducible or otherwise) or missing features annoy you?

I think this is not a bug, but when i was playing with threads, i was
periodically confused with slime "polling" messages.

It just seemed to hang with these messages, and from then on, i couldn't
use slime, as if it was waiting for something from me that it wouldn't
get, cueing all further slime request i did.

I guess this is trivial : i just didn't bother looking further into this
at the time because i had (and still have) a lot to learn, i couldn't
decide weither i should have RTFM more or not, and restarting slime was
not a great inconvenience (not doing anything useful, yet). Maybe
there's some slime functions to control this ?

I feel a little more confortable with CL in general now, so i think i'll
try to reproduce this and see if it is a bug in slime... or in myself :)

Apart from that, i can't remember having been annoyed by slime in any
way. It just works :)

> Is there some packaging system (e.g. Debian) that you would like to
> see SLIME 1.0 bundled with? If so, do you know how to coordinate this?

I'm happy with the cvs head.

> If you said anything negative above then please say something nice
> here to make us feel good:

Well, i lied. It doesn't *just* works : it works *and* it is one of the
most helpful tools i used so far.

I started learning cl a few months ago, and i must admit that slime's
documentation and code exploration facilities were very helpful.

Great job, really !

Oh, and i like those welcome messages very much :)
--
Pierre-François Gomez