[slime-devel] Re: SLIME User Survey

Steven E. Harris seharris at raytheon.com
Fri Jun 18 15:39:35 UTC 2004

Luke Gorrie <luke at bluetail.com> writes:

> Which Lisp versions do you use SLIME with?

CLISP 2.33.1 on Cygwin

> Which Emacs versions?

XEmacs 21.4.13

> How well does SLIME work for you?

Almost perfectly. It seems that some of the nice xref features are not
implemented for CLISP at present, but it still works well enough to
forestall seeking anything better.

> What bugs (reproducible or otherwise) or missing features annoy you?

The only bug I experience frequently is probably not SLIME's
fault. XEmacs hangs when left for a long while (usually overnight)
with an open SLIME connection. I have to break the connection for
XEmacs to awaken from its blocking wait. Provided that I run a CLISP
instance as a separate process from XEmacs, it's not too hard to
interrupt the swank server and restart it. I expect that this bug is
related to XEmacs and/or Cygwin, and SLIME just happens to manifest
the problem most frequently.

> Is there some packaging system (e.g. Debian) that you would like to
> see SLIME 1.0 bundled with? If so, do you know how to coordinate
> this?

No, packaging isn't important to me. I run a copy updated from CVS,
and installation is simple.

> If you said anything negative above then please say something nice
> here to make us feel good:

SLIME's presentation of restarts and debugger interaction is
fantastic. It enables me to explore the CL condition/restart system
faster and with much less typing than with ILISP.

Steven E. Harris        :: seharris at raytheon.com
Raytheon                :: http://www.raytheon.com