[slime-devel] Re: Towards 1.0?

Bill_Clementson at peoplesoft.com Bill_Clementson at peoplesoft.com
Thu Jun 17 17:14:43 UTC 2004

Luke Gorrie <luke at bluetail.com> writes:

> Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:
>
> > Where should install we SLIME by default?  A writable directory would
> > be the easiest for us; not sure if distributors like that.
>
> I hacked swank-loader.lisp to put the fasl files in ~/.slime/fasl/ (on
> Win32 it's _slime instead). This way we can install in a read-only
> directory. Sound okay?

I use Win32 and have plenty of directories in my home directory that start
with "dot". There's no reason to make a special exception for Win32 - I
would prefer to have the directory name be the same for both Win32 and
non-Win32 installs. Another advantage is that, in Emacs, you can elect to
not have your dot directories displayed in dired buffers. This is my
preference for the fasl directories as I don't normally want to drill down
into them.

- Bill